Be Unstoppable!

Budget MOTW - Spinach, Mushroom, and Chicken Stuffed Enchiladas

By 12/10/2014 , , , , , , ,

MORE FOOD!!!!!!!! I know you're just really upset about hearing about more delicious recipe awesome-ness, right? **wink wink**

Have you ever stumbled across a recipe on pinterest and you just started salivating immediately?!?! Ya...that happened to me last weekend when I found this one--Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Enchiladas from the Girl Who Ate Everything.  If you just take one peak at these pictures, I dare you to tell me these don't look delicious! These just looked delicious and whether or not they were really cheese heavy (ya they kind of are...why do you think I didn't 21 day fix approve them?)...I still had to try these! Because you know what, sometimes you deserve a cheesy treat!

So, for today's meal of the week...Spinach, Mushroom, and Chicken Stuffed Enchiladas! I know some people have strong opinions about mushrooms. So, if you're not a mushroom person, or eating spinach makes you feel like Popeye, than feel free to substitute!  


For mushroom substitution...You'll need another meaty vegetable! Cauliflower or eggplant would probably be sufficient for that. I do not have much experience cooking with eggplant, so I personally would suggest cauliflower, since I anticipate it would hold its shape better than eggplant would and would therefore make a more appetizing consistency for your filling.

For spinach subsitution...I would suggest chard or kale! I personally looooooooove kale, so that would be by personal suggestion!

First things first, what do you need at the grocery store?

Grocery List:
  • Sweet Onions - $0.45
  • Mushrooms - $3.99
  • Kroger Low Sodium Chicken Broth - $1.55
  • Fresh Baby Spinach - $4.99
  • Philadelphia Cream Cheese - $0.41
  • Chicken breasts - $10.49 (used approximately half for this recipe and half for Veggie & Chicken Crockpot Chili recipe)
  • Limes - $0.39
  • 8 ounces Daisy Low Fat Sour Cream - $1.39
  • Cilantro - $0.89
  • Kroger Flour Tortillas -$1.99
  • Kroger Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese - $0.69
Things I already had:
  • Butter
  • Garlic Powder
Total = $16.25 total for recipe

Directions...
Start by preheating that oven to 350 degrees and greasing your baking pan. I used a 9 x 13 glass Pyrex baking dish.

Then cook your chicken breast - about 1 1/2 chicken breasts if you haven't already. I kind of forgot this step (oops) so my filling was sitting around while I was cooking the chicken! After you're done, let it cool and then dice it. Once I realized I hadn't cooked my chicken yet, I personally let mine cook while I was preparing the rest of the filling.

For the filling...
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • Small Onion, minced
  • garlic powder
  • Mushrooms - 1lb approximatley, coarsely chopped
  • 10 ounces of coarsely chopped baby spinach
  • 1/4 C of low-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 ounces of cream cheese - low fat
  • cooked and diced chicken

Melt the butter down in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat, add minced onions, garlic powder, and mushrooms until soft. About 5 minutes or so should do it.  

Remove half of the mushroom mixture and set aside.

Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth and cook for a couple more minutes.

Add the coarsely chopped spinach and cook down until soft. Then add in 4 ounces of the cream cheese (this was half of my block of cream cheese) until melted, mixing into the mixture as it melts.  Season with salt to taste, and also mix in chopped and cooked chicken.  

For the sauce...
  • Juice of one lime
  • 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • Garlic powder - I didn't measure but 1-1.5 tablespoons should be good
  • Low Fat (or Fat Free) Sour cream - 8 oz
  • Cilantro, chopped

Combine juice of one lime, 1 cup of chicken broth, and garlic powder (about 1 tablespoon or more if you really like garlic).  Then add the reserved mushroom mixture, 8 ounces of low fat sour cream, and chopped cilantro. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Assembly...
  • Filling
  • Sauce
  • 8 flour tortillas
  • 1.5 cups of Monterrey Jack cheese (This was about 6 of the 8 ounces of Monterrey Jack in the bag of shredded cheese)
Divide filling between the 8 tortillas, fill and roll with seam side down...seriously make sure the seam is down! Pour the sauce over the top of the enchiladas, and then top with the shredded cheese.

Bake for about 10-15 minutes!

Enchiladas should be bubbling and golden brown!

Then, enjoy!

Seriously, these enchiladas are AMAZING! I totally look forward to them at the end of a long day! To offset the heaviness of these, I'll usually pair them with a large salad. And purely to offset that they are a little on the high-fat side, I have not been having them back-to-back days for dinner! I usually alternate between these and my veggie-heavy chili or a large salad with some grilled chicken or hard boiled egg for dinner! But seriously you should check them out! SO DELICIOUS!!

Happy Eating! 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.