Be Unstoppable!

MOTW - Garlic, Kale, Mushrooms & Chicken with Spaghetti Squash

By 3/17/2015 , , , ,


There's just something about finding a recipe like this that is just delicious, and so chock full of veggies that you don't feel guilty at all when you eat it!

Paleo Phad Thai is like that.
Butternut Squash, Spring Greens Salad was like that.

I've found a lot of recipes like that lately!

This is one is a winner too! I got home one night from work and was SO hungry so I literally piled a plate SO high with this delicious mix and there really is NO feeling bad about that!

So many nutrients!

So many delicious whole foods!

What's not to LOVE?

Firstly,  I have to give credit where credit is due! This delicious recipe was originally found on the Roasted Root! I personally tweaked the recipe a little bit to simplify it, AND because I'm obsessed with sriracha I added that too to give it a little extra punch!

A lot of what I modified in this was just simplifying! You may disagree with this, but hear me out! I'm a grad student. You know this. I don't have the budget to have obscure ingredients like grapeseed oil, Portobello mushrooms (okay - not obscure, but more expensive $$), kosher salt, or cayenne pepper (see Portobello mushrooms haha)! Heck, even having fresh garlic is a bit of a stretch for me on occasion because it seems like an extravagance!

I lean heavily on spices in recipes because they LAST! They never go bad! I can get garlic or chili powder at the store and they'll last me for 6 months to a year! So that primarily how I modified this recipe.

What you'll need:

  • Medium spaghetti-squash
  • Olive oil, 2T
  • Garlic or garlic powder
  • Mushrooms (Portobello if possible) - 3 cups, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons of italian spices
  • Chicken - I used 3-5 chicken tenders
  • Kale - original recipe calls for 4 cups
    • I just cut up a bundle of kale without measuring
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • Salt, 1/4 teaspoon or to taste
  • Sriracha
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use a knife to put holes in spaghetti squash and bake for 40-60 minutes. Then set aside until you're ready to use it!
  • In a medium skillet, add the oil and heat to medium. 
  • Add the garlic or a few shakes of garlic powder, and the mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes until the mushrooms just start to soften and brown.
  • Add the chicken tenders. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then add chopped kale leaves. Add the Italian seasoning to taste!
  • Continue cooking for about 5 minutes more. Kale leaves will start to wilt and chicken should cook through.
  • Add the lemon zest (and juice if you'd like!!), and salt! Stir and cook for a minute or so longer. Remove from heat.
  • Use a fork to remove spaghetti squash from shell and place them in a serving bowl.
  • Add the chicken, mushroom, kale mixture to the serving bowl and toss everything together.
  • Before eating, top with sriracha, and ENJOY!
Though I don't know the specific measurements - I do know that this is 21 day fix approved! I would guess 2-3 greens per serving, 1 red, and maybe 1 teaspoon for the oils and the sriracha! 

I hope you all like my version! Let me know what you think!





You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.