Be Unstoppable!

Budget MOTW - Veggie & Chicken Crockpot Chili

By 12/06/2014 , , , , , , , , , , ,

I love love LOVE crock pot recipes during the winter & fall! I mean--I love these recipes all year round, really but they're especially perfect for warming you up on colder days. And they're even better for us busy busy people because they're just SO easy.  You just toss a bunch of stuff in a pot and leave! What's better than that?

I actually really get irritated by and try to avoid any crockpot recipe that asks you to sautee something before you put it into the pot. It kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?

Well, anyways, of all the crockpot recipes I've posted, I think the majority of them have been chili recipes! What can I say? I love chili! I promise I'll mix it up with the crock pot recipes eventually, but I have just been craving some chili lately since it's been a while since I've made it.

So today's recipe is a very simple, very delicious Veggie & Chicken Crockpot Chili!  A very hearty, healthy meal with very basic staple ingredients that are cheap and make preparation a breeze!



Something I LOVE about chili in terms of a hearty dinner is that it's so simple and so few ingredients to prepare. You just need some protein, beans, tomatoes, and veggies! You can pretty much tweak it whatever way you want! 

This way has become my favorite--chicken broth base with lots of tomatoes, veggies, and beans and some protein. I add tons of seasonings as you'll see! Especially lots of chili pepper...

First let's start with what you'll need!

Grocery List:
  • Kroger Low Sodium Chicken Broth - $1.55
  • Kroger Canned Black Beans - $0.49
  • Kroger Canned Kidney Beans - $0.49
  • Kroger Canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes - $0.79
  • Hunts Tomato Paste - $0.89
  • Frozen Veggie Mix (Soup Mix--contained some potatoes, carrots, beans, peppers, onions, etc.) - $1
  • Chicken Breasts - $10.00 for a 2lb package
  • Shredded Mexican Cheddar Cheese - $2.99
Total = $18.20

Other items you will need (that I already had...):

  • Garlic Powder
  • Onion Powder
  • Chili Powder
  • Cumin
  • Black Papper
  • Salt
Cut up 2 large chicken breasts (about 1lb of chicken) into 1" pieces. I didn't use all of the chicken breasts in the package I bought. I used the rest in an another recipe.

Combine your cut up chicken breasts in the crockpot with 1.5 cups of chicken broth, the two cans of beans, roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and the bag of frozen veggies (about 2 C of mixed veggies I would say). 

Then add all your seasonings! I don't really measure these. I pretty much judge by the flavors I like, and add things in "shakes."  But I'll do my best to estimate what I added here.
  • 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons of onion powder
  • 2-3 Tablespoons of chili powder**
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon of cumin**
  • Salt and pepper to taste
**I usually add more of both of these because I REALLY like the smoky, spicy flavors in my chili!

Then mix everything together.

Leave on low for 6-8 hours. I usually let them go closer to 8 hours because a) that works out better for timing with when I like to eat dinner, and b) all the flavors really melt together that way!

Top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and enjoy!

This is a super simple MOTW, but it's hearty, healthy, and so delicious! And who doesn't like coming back from a day out running around doing errands to something as delicious smelling as this?

For my 21 day fix friends: I can't really give you specific measurements because it kind of depends upon what you put in your chili! But my chili came out to about 1 red, 1 yellow, 1.5-2 greens, and 1 blue per serving! I'm not sure how to count the chicken broth, but if you are concerned about that, you could substitute the chicken broth for water and olive oil. Then, the chicken broth would count as 1 orange!

Happy crock-potting!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.