Be Unstoppable!

MOTW: Chili-Roasted Squash, Spring Greens, Quinoa, Chicken & Goat Cheese Salad

By 3/14/2015 , , , ,


This one is my NEW favorite salad!

I wanted to make something super easy this week that helped me use up the butternut squash that I had bought and not used the week before. And I didn't want to have to cook much of anything!

So, this is one of those super easy go-to's that you should definitely keep on the back-burner in your recipe stash!

What I like about this recipe?

  • Primarily veggies, and let's face it - you can't go wrong with that! So many recipes I share or that I commonly eat have a huge starch component! What I love about this one is that you don't really HAVE to use the starch if you don't want to!
  • Super versatile - You can add what you do and do not want to this! If you don't like squash, substitute another veggie!
  • Minimal time and minimal cooking - I store bought or already had a lot of these staples. Yes, that adds to the cost, but it also adds to the ease of prep which us graduate students LOVE!
  • No dressing required - This is one of those salads that is so tastey in and of itself that you don't need dressing! And if you're on 21 day fix, that's a MUST because we only get one of those little orange containers!
  • GOAT CHEESE - I might be a little obsessed with goat cheese! But seriously the goat cheese in this recipe, MAKES IT! I promise you! It's incredible! Definitely don't leave it out!
Before, I get started, I have to give credit where credit is due! I originally modified this recipe from this Chili-Roasted Butternut Squash post on Kelly's Kitchen!

What you'll need:
  • 1 bag of frozen butternut squash OR one fresh butternut squash
    • I prefer the fresh variety because then your squash gets a nice texture to it!
  • Chili Powder
  • Cumin
  • Spring greens
  • Quinoa 
    • I pretty much always have pre-pared quinoa in my refrigerator! That way I can cook a big batch and then just add yellow 21 day fix containers of it to whatever I'm eating that day!
    • Optional: If you're not a fan of quinoa, you can use black beans!
  • Goat Cheese
  • Roast chicken - One of those prepared ones from the grocery store!
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) for roasting the squash
Directions:
  • Finish roasting the chicken per package instructions.
  • Prepare quinoa, if not already prepared!
    • Use a 2:1 ratio of quinoa to water! Boil and then reduce heat to low, cooking until quinoa has absorbed all the water.
  • Prepare Butternut Squash
    • Preheat oven to 450 degrees!
    • If using frozen squash-no preparation needed!
    • If using fresh squash...Cut up the squash into cubes, discarding the seeds in the interior.
    • Toss prepared squash in 1 tbps EVOO, chili powder and cumin (to taste), and some kosher salt and pepper - I used about 3 tsp of both cumin and chili powder
    • Evenly distribute on a greased baking sheet
    • Bake for 20 minutes
  • Assembly
    • 1 green container of spring greens
    • Top with:
      • 1 green container of chili-roasted butternut squash
      • 1 yellow container of quinoa (or black beans if you went that route)
      • 1 red container of roasted chicken
      • 1 blue container of goat cheese
Voila!

That's it!

Super easy, delicious and 21 day fix approved! It's great for a quick-and-easy lunch as well as dinner!

21 Day Fix breakdown: 2 greens (for spring greens and butternut squash), 1 yellow (for quinoa/black beans), 1 blue (goat cheese), 1 tsp (for EVOO - or at least that's how I count the oils in this recipe because there's so little!)

ENJOY!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.