Be Unstoppable!

Find a Mentor

By 8/26/2013

...and hold onto them!


If I have learned anything from working with graduate students and talking with people in the labs I've worked in, it's this - older graduate students are your most invaluable resource!

It really couldn't be more true! Not only can you turn to these people for advice about courses, but they can help in so many other ways! They've got the scoop on who the good PIs are, which ones have had trouble with graduate students before, which classes are helpful and which aren't, what order to take your classes in. And BONUS - they can help you through all the crazy that comes with being a graduate student because they were in the same boat as you not 5 years ago. They know. So take advantage of them. It's never too early to find an older graduate student to help you out!

I've recently found myself doubting whether or not I want to pursue an incredibly unique opportunity here in my program - a dual PhD in Microbiology with an MS in Epidemiology.  This dual-degree was a big draw for me to come here, but after meeting with my graduate adviser, who isn't super familiar with the program, I got a little gun shy. I was scared about the time commitment, if I'd be able to do it, and if I was setting myself up for failure.  So, I got the contact information for another student in the dual-degree program a year ahead of me. I asked her a few questions about the program and how she was finding it, and eventually it turned into a really fun get together of all the students in the program.  

Together, we all went out to a local hot spot, got some sangria and some delicious pizza and just talked about life, about school, about drama (it happens ;-)), and I feel like I came away with not only some great contacts and some great mentors, but I feel like I made new friends!

So, reach out to some older graduate students.  It can be people you work with. People you met at recruitment. Your TA. The list goes on.  See if they're willing to meet up, give you some tips and tricks, and just some general wisdom about graduate school. They know. They've been there. So take advantage of it! You'll get so much out of it, and I'm willing to bet that you'll make some new friends in the process.  

We're all in this together! That includes your fellow graduate students at your school! I'm sure if you ask, they'll be willing to help you out!

Keep working hard!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.