Be Unstoppable!

MOTW - Cauliflower Rice and Chicken Lettuce Wraps

By 2/13/2015 , , ,



It's Foodie Friday! And I've got an awesome recipe for you today! But first, a little story...



I don't like cauliflower...

It's like one of those bad memories from when I was a kid.

Cooked, raw...I just don't like it. It's so BLAND!

Well, we had a challenge in one of my challenge groups about a month ago where we were supposed to find a recipe that we thought might make us want to try a food that we don't like again. And if we were really feeling bold, to try that recipe out!

Obviously, my food of "choice" was cauliflower.

Yuck.

Anyways, the recipe hunt began...

For me, I knew that I needed a recipe where the cauliflower was as disguised as possible...maybe where the cauliflower was "pretending" to be something else.

Well, fortunately I found a couple that fit the bill!

Cauliflower Rice Lettuce Cups with Sriracha Peanut Sauce from Veggie & the Beast Feast

Cauliflower Pizza Crust which I've found featured in many places, but here is the link to Give Up the Gym.

Well, I decided to tackle the Cauliflower lettuce wraps first...I've been on an Asian food kick lately, and for some reason lettuce wraps of any form remind me of P.F. Changs. Am I alone in this?

What you need:

  • Onion & Pepper frozen veggie mix - 2 packages
  • 4 ounces of shiitake mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 lime
  • Soy sauce, reduced sodium preferably
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • Iceberg or Bibb lettuce
  • Cilantro and chopped peanuts, optional, for topping
  • Chicken tenders, cooked - optional
  • Sriracha Peanut Sauce
    • Natural peanut butter, 1/2 Cup
    • 1C almond or coconut milk (I personally think coconut is better)
    • 3 tablespoons honey
    • sea salt, 1/2 t
    • 1T Rice vinegar
    • Sriracha to taste...I added probably 1/2-2T

What to do:

  • Chop up the cauliflower head into smaller florets so that they'll fit nicely in the food processor. If you have a good food processor, this might not be a problem for you...but I kind of have a crappy small one and really had to use small cauliflower florets.
  • Process the cauliflower in the food processor until it achieves a nice, rice-like texture.
  • Sautee your veggies - for this adventure I used my favorite frozen pepper and onion mix and some fresh shiitake mushrooms
  • Once the veggies are cooked, drain off the excess liquid - that will save your filling from being soggy
  • Add in the cauliflower rice and saute until slightly golden.
    • Optional: Saute some chicken tenders to top your lettuce wraps with
  • While the veggies are cooking, combine the ingrdients for the sauce in a small saucepan and heat over medium. Sauce should start to boil, boil for about 3-5 mins, and then thicken
  • When everything is cooked, all that is left is for you to assemble as desired and then enjoy! :-)
 I personally really like to assemble mine by adding the veggie/cauliflower mixture on top of the lettuce, followed by a grilled chicken tender, then a drizzle of peanut sauce.


For 21 Day Fix: If you measure everything out right, this could count as 1-2 green containers, 1 red container, and two tablespoons for your nut butters! Be careful not to go over on peanut sauce! That's the biggest source of calories in this dish!

I hope you enjoy this one! It's a goodie!

Until next time,

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.