Be Unstoppable!

Fitspiration vs Thinspiration

By 8/24/2013 ,




















If you use pinterest as much as I do, you probably have pinned dozens of pictures of athletic, thin, exceptionally muscular women to a board to provide you with some workout motivation. But, lately, a concept has been introduced by many warning of the dangers of these images and the threat they pose to the body image of women, especially those of women with eating disorders.  

Enter the concepts of fitspiration and thinspiration.

So, what are these concepts?

Thinspiration is... Thin + Inspiration. A person's thinspiration is usually an Image or Photograph, but can be many other things like: Lyrics, Poems, Quotes, Sayings, etc.. An inspiration to stay thin. Aka ""thin spo"(urbandictionary.com)

Fitspiration is... Fit + inspiration. A healthier alternative to thinspiration, fitspiration is using examples of good fitness (people, photographs, skinny jeans, etc) as inspiration to attain a fitness goal. (urbandictionary.com) Aka fitspo.

Lately, these images have gotten a lot of attention because of the unrealistic expectations and ideals of body image they provide women who are looking to get thin.  Even websites like pinterest and tumblr have posted disclaimers at the top of search results regarding the dangers and differences between thinspo and fitspo.  When you search thinspiration on pinterest, there is a bit of text above the image results that says "Eating disorders are not lifestyle choices, they are mental disorders that if left untreated can cause serious health problems or could even be life-threatening.
For treatment referrals, information, and support, you can always contact the National Eating Disorders Association Helpline at 1-800-931-2237 or www.nationaleatingdisorders.org" (pinterest.com)

I think it is great that these websites are making sure to differentiate between healthy images and unhealthy inspiration that might inspire or condone eating disorders.  We all fall victim to these images, and I'm very happy that attention is being drawn to it. However, I personally still feel the benefit in these images can be incredible for someone hoping to change their lifestyle. Like that old saying - A picture says a thousand words. Seeing something motivating does so much more, in my opinion, than reading a motivational quote. When you cross those motivational images with text, it is even better.  You just need to be sure you're looking at the right kinds of images.  

If you were to look at my workout motivation page on pinterest, you'd find that early on I pinned a lot of thinspiration. I still do on occasion, but I have been much more conscious of the images that I'm pinning.  I find myself gravitating a lot more toward the images of women who are in great shape with great bodies who are actually working out or have clearly just completed a kick-ass workout in the images themselves.  Why? Because in my opinion this is the fundamental difference between "thinspiration" and "fitspiration". These images are obviously of women that look great, but simply by what they're doing in the pictures, it's obvious that they're working their butts off to look the way they do.  That's fitspiration. That's demonstrating that working hard enables you to see changes in your body - not just by cutting back.  

I personally love the slogan strong is the new skinny. I think it advocates everything that makes fitspiration and thinspiration so different, and it demonstrates exactly what each woman should be looking for - to be at her strongest and most fit, not to be at her skinniest or sexiest.  One of my favorite quotes from a workout motivation pin is something like, "No woman should ever grow old without seeing the strength of which her body is capable." Now I didn't post that image here because the woman in the picture that I have, I think, represents thinspiration. She's simply standing there flexing, actually she's more standing there being skinny, and not doing any work. But that idea is something that is incredibly motivating to me. I want to say when I'm old and gray that at one point in my life, I pushed my body and was as fit as I possibly can be so that I can do and enjoy all the things life has to offer. I never want to look back and realize I didn't do something because I wasn't fit enough.  So, even in a pin that could be deemed "thinspo," there is a little bit of "fitspo" in there to. 

If you're looking to change your outlook on what a fit, sexy woman is, I highly suggest you start looking at women that CrossFit.  I wish I could try CrossFit right this second, but CrossFit is an expensive workout method. But with a car payment and having just started graduate school, it is unrealistic for me to do so.  But if you look at these women that CrossFit, they're are exceptional! Just check out a couple of the picture to the right, and the next couple pictures below! These women are not stick thin - they're incredibly muscular and healthy, and they look fantastic! This is what we should aspire to look like - fit! I would never call these women skinny. I would call them ripped, healthy, and aspirational!
Camille Leblanc-Bazinet - an elite CrossFit athlete!

Now, some of the articles I've read about fitspiration talk of people who are gym rats, who work out too much, and how dangerous that can be. I agree - it can be dangerous, but only if you're doing it the wrong way. Professional athletes, whose job it is to be in incredible shape, demonstrate to us what our bodies can take if you're providing yourself with the right nutrition. It is completely realistic that these people can workout as much as they do and not be unhealthy because they are actually ingesting a lot of calories, and good calories at that.  They're eating lean meats, complex carbohydrates, stocking up on fruits and vegetables. They're drinking large quantities of water, extra protein to support all the muscle building that they're asking of their bodies. They aren't killing themselves by pushing this hard. They're doing it in the right way, and I see no problem with that. 

I've also seen some articles that bash those workout motivation images that talk about going until it hurts. Somewhere I read something that said - "Don't go until it hurts! If it hurts, stop! Your body is trying to tell you that it doesn't like what you're doing to it!" (or some derivative of that statement).  Now, I agree with this to a point.  If you have a stabbing pain in your joint from an old injury (like I often do - we've discussed that I'm injury prone), stop what you're doing because you're probably causing more harm than good. But, there's a big difference between causing pain and causing discomfort.  Pain is a bad thing. But, discomfort is what comes before change. That's the difference. Discomfort causes change.  

If you want to make big changes in your fitness, you're inherently asking your body to do things that it's not used to. You're asking yourself to work harder, to lift heavier, to push further than your body is used to going. That is the only way you're going to make changes in your fitness, and there will be some inherent discomfort in that. That isn't a bad thing. So make sure you know the difference between experiencing pain during a workout and experiencing discomfort. If you're experiencing pain, than you're probably doing something you shouldn't be, and yes, you should stop! But, if you're hoping to become strong and fit, discomfort is an inherent part of the process and you have to push through that discomfort or your body will never change the way you want it to!  My good friend told me once, "if you're uncomfortable, than that is exactly where you need to be because no one gets better by being comfortable."  Apply this to fitness, as well as to life.  

That being said - I want to stress how important it is that everyone realize that we are not all built the same! I think that is the biggest problem people have with both thinspo and fitspo - that women are taking pictures of tall beautiful women that it is physically impossible for them to look like. You need to realize that! We all need to realize that! I could pin a picture of Candice Swanepoel and say "I'm going to look like this in 6 months" but that is just not realistic! I'm not tall. I'm not long legged and for me to expect that busting my ass at a gym will get me to look like that isn't realistic.  So, we need to realize that we all are built differently and that somethings that are achievable for some aren't realistic for others.  I will never have model long legs. I will never have a thigh gap (now that's a thinspo nightmare!!).  But, what I can do is pick out things that I can work toward in these images - things that are achievable for me.  

motivation
An example of thinspiration - in my opinion
So, in every thinspo/fitspo image you see, look for something that is realistic for you to achieve. It doesn't even have to be physical.  For example, would love to have abs like the girl in 3rd picture. So, I might try to achieve my body's version of this. For the girl in the 4th picture, I would love to have definition in my legs like she does. For me, that might be achievable.  My legs are the most muscular part of my body after years of playing soccer, and muscle definition like that is definitely something I could strive for. But, I could never hope to be that long and lean.  I'm not built like that.  See the difference? 

However, what you get out of these images doesn't have to be a physical attribute.  Why not strive for the motivation of that woman in the 3rd picture?   Look at how hard she is obviously pushing ! You can see it all over her face! That's something to strive for.  Also, latch onto the says and quotes because there are so many great ones!

No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch.  Get up and go! Workout! Stay active! Be healthy! It doesn't matter if you're the fastest runner. Who cares if you can run the furthest? You're trying! You're doing it, and that is so much better than being that person who wants to make big changes, but can't seem to move from the couch.

Working out doesn't have to be a chore. Have fun with it. This is one of my favorites, and something that Taralynn (undressedskeleton.tumblr.com) really emphasizes. Get out and do something. If running isn't for you, find something that you love. Rock climbing. Tennis. Sports. CrossFit. Walking. It doesn't matter. Find something that you really enjoy, with people that motivate you if you need that extra kick in the pants to get going. Have fun with it! Surround yourself with activities and people that make it enjoyable!

Stop competing with others and start competing against yourself.  This is perhaps my favorite fitspo quote EVER!  And it goes back to what I was just talking about. We're all individuals. What works for one person might not work for another.  So, if something doesn't work for you, try something else.  But, more than anything, don't compare yourself to the women in these pictures. Hell, don't even compare yourself to the really fit women at your gym. Especially if you're just starting out! These women are either professionals, fitness models, or they have simply been at it a lot longer than you. Physicality changes and lifestyle changes take time, dedication, and motivation. Don't get discouraged by a bad week. Don't get discouraged by not being able to do the ridiculous workout that the girl next to you at the gym is doing.  It will only frustrate you and derail you. Keep pushing yourself and making changes for yourself, and you'll be amazed with the results.  Even more importantly, you'll be so proud of yourself because you'll have figured out your version of doing things.

The last thing I want to end with, which isn't really fitspo or thinspo, but is perhaps the most important part of this whole post - don't focus on a number. The other day, I googled some of the nation's top female CrossFit athletes. I stumbled across one athlete who was built a lot like me - short, stocky legs, long waste, pear-shaped, about the same height. And guess what!  She weighed 3 lbs less than I do!  But this girl was ripped!  Everything I would have ever hoped to look like. It just goes to show you that the number on a scale does not say anything about the kind of shape you're in.  

I like fitspiration. I am an advocate of it. I think there's tremendous benefits from seeing fit women who are putting in the work and effort to make themselves the most physically fit they can be.  I don't think it's a bad thing, especially in our culture. I actually find it a bit hypocritical that people rip on fitspiration when obesity runs so rampant in the U.S. True fitspiration is something that should be cheered, not cause debate.  I would never argue that true fitspiration presents an unhealthy lifestyles. Everyone just needs to stop being so literal all the time, especially in the way that we interpret fitspiration images. Look toward the message that the image is sending! That's the point of fitspiration.    

So that's it for today!  If you don't agree with some of my comments about fitspo, that's fine. I encourage you to post your own opinions. But, please, keep it civil. We all have opinions, and I would appreciate you being respectful of mine as I will be respectful of yours.  

Thanks for reading! We're all in this together!

P.S. I encourage you to read more on your own about the fitspo/thinspo debate. I agree with the opinions on body image, but I disagree with alot of the information about fitspo being completely useless. Yes, I'm all for body acceptance and realizing that we cannot all achieve fitness model abs and model legs. But, there's something to be said for aspiration, especially in America - home of the obesity epidemic. I don't think there is anything wrong with aspiring to be physically fit and even ripped.  As long as you do it in a healthy way.  There is nothing wrong with aspiring to be ripped like the fitspo images you pin on pinterest, as long as you realize the aspects of your pursuit that are realistic for YOU and those that are not.  Take everything you read with a grain of salt, including this blog post.  We all have our own opinions, and I encourage you to spend sometime on google reading up on this so that you may form your own opinion.

P.P.S. If you're looking true workout motivation in a healthy way, true role models for your workout goals and aspiration, good and healthy images to motivate you, don't ever search for "fitspiration" or esp. "thinspiration" on pinterest or google or tumblr, etc.  I just search "fitspiration" on pinterest and very few of those images are images that are healthy. Very few of them are what I would deem to true fitspiration because they are labeled by the people who posted them.  On pinterest, they utilize people's own labels and comments to populate your search and the terms fitspiration and thinspiration are, in my opinion, inappropriately thrown around on many of these websites.  Search "health," "fitness," or "workout motivation" and you'll will more likely get results for the kind of true fitspiration that will be beneficial to us and pursuing our goals.

Interesting other articles to consider:
http://reembody.me/2013/09/10/the-6-most-shockingly-irresponsible-fitspiration-photos/  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.