Be Unstoppable!

Build a Routine

By 9/19/2014 , , ,


Let's talk about building a routine. 


Routines are going to become your biggest ally in graduate school. None more so than routines to complete the simple, non-school related tasks like working out, waking up, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, dishes, grocery shopping, etc.  For example, Sunday has become my day to many of these everyday tasks, as can be seen in the example routines below.  

Thus I have developed a schedule that I stick by somewhat rigidly. Though, I of course am human and sometimes this varies, this is generally what my day looks like.


Daily Routine:

6:00-6:15 - Wake up, change into my workout gear, and drink a really big glass of cold water
6:15-6:45 - Workout
**I'm going to write a post about the benefits of morning workouts, but pretty much want I want to emphasize here that if your reason for not getting your workout in is that you're too burned out in the evening to get it done, then WORKOUT IN THE MORNING! That way it's done, it's over with and you can just veg or go to happy hour in the evening**
6:45-6:55 - Shower
7-7:45 - Get READY!! Get dressed, brush my teeth, do my hair, etc. Pack my lunch for the day and make and drink my SHAKEOLOGY
7:45-8ish - Walk to work and listen to a Personal development podcast
8 - 4:30ish - Lab/Class 
The first 30 minutes of my day tend to be the planning part of my day. I write up my to-do lists and check my emails, spending a small amount of time on facebook to check in with my customers, etc.  I then spend the first couple hours of the day before the majority of my lab gets in reading papers or anything else that involves a significant amount of focus.  Then I'll start my experiments for the day
I tend to to have a mid-morning snack at approximately 10-10:30. Lunch tends to be between 12-1. I also tend to have a my mid-afternoon snack at around 3pm.  
**The time I leave work does vary depending upon the amount of work I have or the amount of class I had during the day. When I leave can vary anywhere from 4:30 to 6pm and I thus have to adjust my schedule accordingly.**
5:00 - Walk home
5-6:30 - Dinner and Relaxation, with a little bit of Beachbody work. I'll often watch the News while I eat dinner and then afterward do a little Beachbody work
6:30-10 - Academic Reading and/or Studying (ie. Papers for lab, background reading, catching up on recent publications, studying or writing for class)
10-10:30- Personal Development Reading OR Journaling
10:30 - Bedtime!
Like I said, not only do I have a general daily routine, I also have a weekly routine! Again, this is very general, but this is just an example.


Weekly Routine:

M-F: AM Workouts and Daily Work
Saturday: AM Workout, Grocery Shopping, and Studying. Occasionally I will go into lab on Saturday.
Sunday: Meal Prep, Doing Laundry, Cleaning, Etc., and MORE Studying!

Everybody deserves a night off in graduate school, and I diligently take Friday night off. Whether I'm out with friends or just enjoying a night in, I always give myself this night off. No studying. No working. Just relaxation and enjoyment! This is my ME time! My relaxation! Make sure you take some time for yourself!

I hope that helps to give you an idea of the kind of routine you set up for yourself!



Until next time,




Other useful sources:
Elliott Hulse - "Discipline is greater than Motivation" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnMp-d5pKs&nomobile=1

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.