Be Unstoppable!

SECOND CHANCES - Be the person you want to be

By 9/14/2013 , , ,


When I left home to come out here to school, I wasn't very happy with myself. I felt very shy and I let my fear of  judgement totally define me. I wouldn't do or say things because I was so worried about how these things would be perceived by people.  I literally wouldn't be myself at times because I was so concerned about this perception.




So, when I moved, I realized that this was my chance. I had pigeon-holed myself into a version of me that I didn't believe in. I had become someone I wasn't proud of, and I felt like I was perceived a certain way by the people that knew me in my old college town.  But, moving out here was my chance to finally become the person that I wanted to be because no one knew the person I was.  It gave me the chance to be the person that was confident, who said and did what she wanted, and even did things that she wouldn't normally do. The person who took risks, acted crazy, and maybe did things a little embarrassing sometimes just to take a chance.  I told myself that that was the person I was going to be when I moved. I would give myself that chance.

And so far I have.

I sent out a mass email to my whole incoming class asking them if they would all like to hang out and that we should get together.
In front of my whole class, I invited everyone in my class to come out and join a handful of us that had started to go to breweries together.
I participated in a hot dog eating competition at the beginning of the year picnic for my department - the first girl to EVER participate in the competition.

All of these things are things that I would never have done! And you know, what? I'm proud! People from the department were congratulating me and knew me because I had the guts to participate in the hot dog eating competition against all the boys! Older grad students were giving me props. These things might not seem like much to you, but they're so huge for me! Such a step in the right direction.

I feel like I'm slowly becoming the person I want to become - who has no fear and has endless confidence. That's who I want to be, and I hope I continue to take advantage of the opportunities I have to be that person.

So, what's my tip for you today?  If you're like me and you weren't happy with the person you were, then take advantage of a change in scenery and become that person. That's the great thing about a big move - you can reinvent yourself because no one knows any different! So do it! Take that chance!

This is your second chance - so be who you want to be! :-)

Until next time,





You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.