Be Unstoppable!

To happier times...

By 10/22/2013 , ,

I wanted to do this as little as possible - complain about grad school. But at some point everyone needs to realize that grad school is, at times, exactly the horror story they have heard.  So, unfortunately, that is what my last week was.

From the blog - "What should I call grad school" - entitled "One Month into Graduate School"


Seriously - this is what my life has felt like the last few weeks?? What have I done?? Last week was such a Murphy's Law week, that describing it and re-experiencing it literally brings tears to my eyes.  I re-hashed it to my dad yesterday, and I literally struggled to maintain composure. It was bad.  

I'm a perfectionist. Admittedly. I enjoy succeeding, but really, who doesn't? I work my ass off though, and I really feel like I deserve the successes that I have. But, this week, it was like no matter how hard I worked, nothing ever seemed to go my way, and nothing ever seemed good enough.

In school - I had two exams last Thursday, in back to back classes. These weren't easy classes either. Epidemiology and Biostatistics.  Biostatistics should have been so easy, really. But, unfortunately for our class, it was the first time he has ever taught the class, and we all proceeded to take the most poorly written exam I have ever taken in my life. He had a line of people in front of the class waiting to ask him questions for 90/120 minutes during the exam. After that brutality was over, a large group of us waited out in the hall for our Epidemiology exam to start. It started 10 minutes late, because of Biostatistics, and, of course, they didn't give us extra time.  If they had, things may have been SO MUCH BETTER, because that exam was a BEAST!! 50 Questions in 80 minutes, and they were long questions!! It was all I could do to finish the exam.

I was so livid when I finished the exam. But, I pushed those thoughts out of my head and went to lab to complete a multitude of experiments that I had set up, and of course, everything was dead! Nothing worked - yada yada yada! Let's just say that you know it's a crappy day in lab when all 3 of your graduate students are at the bar at 2pm.

Within two days, it was no longer just an issue of crappy cells, slow-growing parasites, etc., but the bacterial contamination which had derailed me weeks before and had run rampant through the lab resurfaced again, and of course it did so in my cultures.  REALLY??


To top it all off my "easy fix" of a car repair turned into a $100 electrical sensor issue, my garbage disposal broke, I randomly started bleeding on the bus from a magical gash on my finger that appeared out of nowhere, my sunglasses broke, and I ran out of ink in my printer and had to go spend more money on that.  

It was a gem of a week - and it was one of those deals where I honestly started questioning myself. I hate seeming incompetent. Especially when I know I am competent. Fortunately, everyone in the lab is super understanding and awesome about all the setbacks I've had during my rotation, and somehow my PI is still really impressed with the data that I've gotten. But, unforunately, grades don't work that way. Professors aren't going to pass you because they're understanding. And that just sucks.  I'm feeling better about Biostats. But Epidemiology is a different story. I'm terrified that this bad test is going to define whether or not I'm even here next semester. If I don't pass, Epi what happens? I literally do think that it went that badly, and I'm freaking out thinking about what it will mean for all the work I put in to get here.  

I never expected grad school to be all sunshine and roses. I knew better coming in. I'd worked with grad students before and I knew that it was hell at times. But when it's this bad, how in the world do you possibly pick yourself and keep going?

The trick to survival - I already know it! It's your friends!

My friends and I made a pact at the beginning of the semester. If we quit, we quit together. If one person wants to quit, they can't until everyone is ready to quit. :-) Seems kind of negative and pessimistic, but it's a good thing to keep us going. There's a couple of us in this pact, and we're all in different departments (mostly). So, the likelihood that we will all be in hell, unable to see the light at the end of the tunnel, all at the same time...slim to none. Hopefully!

So, that's my tragic little story right now. It's so not tragic - I know. I probably should not be complaining, but hey - everyone needed to know that my first semester in graduate school isn't all great life lessons and good times. At some point I was going to have to introduce you to the reality of what graduate school will be like, probably more often than not.  

Hopefully I haven't scared you away - the beginning of this week has already been SO MUCH BETTER!

To happier times!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.