Be Unstoppable!

MOTW Snacks - High Protein Egg Muffins & Breakfast Burritos

By 2/03/2015 , , , , , ,

I have recently been feeling like I really don't get enough protein in day-to-day. Especially with this new program I'm doing which involves a lot of weight lifting! If I really want to get shredded - I need to give my body what it needs, right?

Well since realizing that I have made a concerted effort to get more, good protein into my diet. And one of the best sources of natural protein comes from eggs. But the problem I kept running into is that eggs are also high in fat, especially if you're someone like me who really enjoys nut butters, hummus, etc. in their diet as a way to get their healthy fats. So what's a girl to do when you need the protein, but not the fat!

Egg whites, my friends. Egg whites!

Here are a couple very simple recipes that have very recently become staples in my diet as a source of high protein, and a little healthy fat!

EGG MUFFINS
I'd seen these on pinterest before, and it had been a while since I'd made them, particularly because of the aforementioned problem--great protein but too much fat for me to be having as a snack.

Well, this time I tried something a little different:

What you'll need:

  • Frozen veggie blend - I used a Pepper & Onion Frozen Veggie blend by Kroger
  • Raw mushrooms - however many you want!
  • Egg Whites - I used 32 ounces of Break free egg whites by Kroger
  • Eggs - 4
  • Monterrey Jack Cheese - 2.5 ounces

Making these was seriously so easy!

First - preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

I sauteed the veggies until they were softened - first starting with the frozen veggie blend, then adding the mushrooms until they were soft.

While those were cooking, I scrambled the 4 eggs and then mixed them together with the egg whites in a larger.

After the veggies were cooked, I mixed them into the egg mixture.

Then mix in the cheese. (If you'd prefer, you can reserve the cheese and instead top the muffins with cheese after they're cooked)

Start filling a muffin tin with the mixture--about 3/4 full should do it! Don't fill too full or they will massively bake over.

Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes! They should be a nice golden brown when they're finished cooking!

ENJOY!

**For quick grab-n-go snacks I threw two egg muffins into a ziploc bag and snagged them in the AM for convenient healthy snacks at lab!**

You'll probably notice pretty quickly that you have way more mixture then muffin tins available! If you want, you can just make multiple batches of muffins! OR if you're interested in some more variety, then keep on reading!!

EGG & VEGGIE BREAKFAST BURRITOS
I don't know about you, but I'm a FAN of breakfast burritos! But the ones you by at fast food joints or even at coffee shops are always so oily and loaded with fats. Ew. Pass.

So, I decided that since I had extra egg mixture, I'd whip up some breakfast burritos!

Now, no need to go get more ingredients! All you need to do is this...

Take your leftover egg mixture from above and pour into a pan.

Scramble the eggs.

When fully cooked, remove from heat!


Now for the assembly line!

First, lay down some aluminum foil.

Then, your tortilla.

Top with your egg mixture.

Then cheese (if you so choose).

Fold up your burrito -- side, ends, other side--and place seam side down on the aluminum foil.

Wrap up and repeat!

Refrigerate these goodies and enjoy! :-)




These goodies are rapidly becoming my new favorite AM snack! They're packed with good ingredients and hold me over until lunch and then some!

I highly suggest you try them out!

Eggs (especially egg whites) are your friend when you need more protein in your life!

Until next time!








You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.