Be Unstoppable!

Take a "Me" Day - You Won't Regret It...

By 2/09/2015 , , , , ,


It's "Motivation Monday"!!

Today I want to share with you something that is a foreign concept to most graduate students, academics, work-a-holic professionals, etc. And that is this...

Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is just not do anything...

I know...this seems blasphemous coming from a graduate student. I should be in lab, or reading papers, or working on school work...

PUH-LEASE!!!!

With all these deadlines and to-do lists...they just get exhausting after a while. And, call me crazy, but I'd really rather not burn myself out.

I realized lately how long it's been since I took a day where it's just been about me. I remember once in college I did this. There'd been a lot of drama going down and I just needed to get away.

So I went for a hike at Kamiak Butte in the Palouse in Washington.

I was by myself.

I kinda questioned if I should've gone hiking by myself.

But I did.

I plugged into some beautiful, relaxing music...and just let myself and my thoughts be. 

No deadlines. No stress. No thoughts of commitments, and very few thoughts of other people. I just let myself be in the moment. Enjoying the beauty. 


So today, I took a me day.

No phone.

No social media.

Very limited technology (I spent some time writing...).

And it has been glorious...

I started off letting myself sleep in. I actually stupidly forget to turn off my alarm, but that's okay. I shut it off and went right back to sleep. Then I woke up and started by cooking myself pancakes - chocolate Shakeology pancakes, obviously. Haha

Then I lounged around for a while while folding laundry...before finally going on one of my activities that I had planned on doing.

Just for me...

Maybe you don't know this about me, but I LOVE to take pictures. Like artsy, landscape pictures. Not selfies - thought I'd clarify. Those tropical pictures in the banner of the blog? I took those while I was on vacation in Mexico with my family. Yes, the same vacation that ended up being my fitness journey starting point.

Anyways, there is a lovely arboretum on campus here. And we got about two feet of snow last weekend, which has still hung around. I knew I had wanted to go take pictures today, but I wasn't sure where I wanted to go. When my friend mentioned how beautiful and serene this place I was...I knew this was where I wanted to spend my planned morning photography session.

And oh my god, was it beautiful, and serene, and exactly what I wanted...

I don't know what else to say so I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves...



It's been a long time...probably since I last went photographing like this nearby to my apartment...since I have felt such peace.

I spent the next couple hours kicked back wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with flickering candles all around me sitting on my couch, drinking tea and reading.

Not science reading. Like I said this is a break for me today--meaning no science, no school, no Beachbody...just me and activities that I genuinely enjoy doing.

And I genuinely enjoy reading books like these!

I know I have a personal development section on this blog, but I don't know if I've emphasized it quite as much as maybe I should have! I spend 30 minutes a day, at least, no exceptions reading or listening to something that will allow me to develop as a person. Doing personal development reading forces you to face things about your life that maybe you didn't want to--forces evaluation, analysis, and critique. Allows you to determine what things, people, and situations are building you up and allowing you to reach what you want in life, and also showing you the things that are tearing you down.

You are a Badass By: Jen Sincero is life-changing! It was one of the things I wanted to do today was finish reading this book and start my next endeavor...

Which through after much back and forth ended up being "Failing Forward" By: John C. Maxwell...

After spending some time reading...it was time for one of the highlights of my day!

A massage...

Relaxation, disconnect...sheer bliss...


Tonight I have a lot of small things planned for myself...none of which are productive...and that was the goal...doing things for enjoyment not production.
Tonight I also cooked dinner  for myself...not that I don't due that every night...but tonight's a little different...

I cooked myself a little cheat meal of sausage ravioli with pesto and a side salad...which I ate at my kitchen table with a place setting, something I never do. I ate this meal and savored it without anything else going on around me to distract me from said meal...and it was GLORIOUS!


Then I had a glass of wine and watched a movie, presently, absorbing it and all of it's intricacies and emtions.

Then I had a nice hot bath with soothing music and candles dancing around me...



Maybe I'm getting cheesy as I describe this day that I've spent with myself. But you know...we spend so much time in life completing tasks, and just go GO GOING that we forget that we deserve to enjoy ourselves on occasion.

I hope that you work hard. 

I hope that you dedicate yourself to your dreams and ambitions...

but I also hope that you take time to smell the roses

I hope you take moments, and maybe even a day like I have just for you. To do things for genuine enjoyment because without genuine enjoyment in our lives we become mindless, joyless drones.

So take a "Me" day...take a "me" moment if at the time you're reading this you can't afford a day. And just shut down, enjoy the peace and the little things that make you happy.

Because often we forget one very important fact...



Until next time,

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'm very excited to announce that my blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit https://thefitnerd.squarespace.com/'.